Thursday, April 15, 2010

Opportunities and Expectations

So, as the semester is winding down I have been anticipating the arrival of summer! As I thought about it I realized it was the first summer that I made a decision to really do nothing. I don't mean nothing really....I just mean that I wouldn't be leaving for the entire summer. My first two college summer's were spent in Panama City Beach for Summer Beach Project and last summer I had the amazing opportunity to spend 2 months in Belo Horizonte, Brazil. Because I have had such crazy summer's, the idea of spending a summer at home sounded nice and relaxing. I prayed about it for a while and decided it was really what the Lord wanted me to do.

About a month ago my mom, brother and I began talking about the possibility of Sam and I going to Africa for a couple of weeks. We have friends who are missionaries in Kenya and knew they would LOVE to have visitors. So....in literally a matter of about a week we decided that we were going to go!


We will be spending two weeks in Kenya and I could not be more thrilled!

We are going to visit this sweet couple, Michael and Lesley. They will graciously be opening up their home to us for those two weeks and showing us where they live and what they do. They have been in Kenya together for about a year. Michael teaches school and Lesley has a ministry where she teaches AIDS victims how to grow and cook vegetables for themselves. I am excited to see all that the Lord is going to teach both Sam and I as we travel. I am praying that we will be stretched and also that we will be able to be an encouragement to Michael and Lesley! I am so thankful for this unbelievable opportunity!

I have also been presented with another possible opportunity for when I return from Africa. At school, our professors presented us with an opportunity to participate in a summer enrichment program. If chosen, I would be working with 3rd-5th grade students. I would get lots of experience in my very own classroom but there would be no pressure. I would also get paid which is really just an added bonus and there is a possibility of a scholarship. I have applied but don't know if I will be accepted. I know that it would be a great opportunity and a great experience before I enter student teaching in the fall.

That is the update on a couple of my summer plans. Only 3 more weeks! Woo! Almost there! Have a happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...